The fantasy sports industry is one of the hottest topics to discuss in the present-day world, as it is constantly growing with the passage of me on account of the constant love and support from fantasy sports players. With the advent of the Internet, smartphones and i-Gaming companies, fantasy sports emerged in less me.
As you know the popularity of the fantasy sports industry and the things which led the emergence of it, now let’s dive into deep facts about fantasy sports.
1. According a general knowledge English-language encyclopaedia called Britannica, which was originated in 1768, an Oakland area businessman named Wilfred “Bill” Winkenbach and his some friends created a Fantasy Football League called the Greater Oakland Professional Pigskin Prognos cators League (GOPPPL), which led to the emergence of Fantasy Gridiron Football.
2. Winkenbach is the same man who invented Fantasy Golf in the late 1950s.
3. The Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA) has been effective since 2006 in order to regulate online gaming. It is known as United States legislation.
4. The Fantasy Sports Trade Association (FSTA) is a US-based trade group, which was founded in 2016. FSTA is the former name of Fantasy Sports & Gaming Association (FSGA). FSTA was renamed to FSGA in 2019. The purpose of FSGA is to represent the fantasy sports and gaming industry.
5. In 2017, 60 Million people played Fantasy Sports in the United States of America and Canada, according to FSGA.
6. In 2017, 80% people played Fantasy Football in the United States of America and Canada, according to FSGA.
7. In 2019, the largest Fantasy sports-based market was North America.
8. In India, Fantasy Sports users were 2 Million, 20 Million, and 50+ Million in June 2016, December 2017, and February 2019 respectively, according to multinational professional services network called KPMG.
9. An American web services provider called Yahoo ! started providing fantasy football leagues for free in the late 90s.
10. According to a leading market research and advisory company called TechNavio, the Fantasy sports market is estimated to cross 9 Billion in the course of 2020-24 by taking fantasy sports, especially soccer, baseball, & football and geography (APAC, Europe, MEA, North America, & South America) into consideration.
One of the most interesting facts is that the worldwide fantasy sports market is worth more than a billion dollars and the credit for this achievement goes to the 1962 fantasy football idea of Winkenbach.